Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy periods. Any thoughts?

Hi, I am 43 & suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding & irregular periods for the last one & half years. Doctor has diagnoised simple hyperplacia and adviced Regestrone (2-2-2). The treatment was for 6 months and subsequently, during the next 3 months, periods were normal even after discontinuing the Regestrone. Now the heavy bleeding has recurred. Please advice, if continuing with Regestrone for another period of 3 or 6 months advisable?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 55 minutes later

Regesterone is norethisterone, which is a synthetic progestogen. Progestogen is a female hormone produced in the body. It keeps the endometrial proliferation in control. Endometrial hyperplasia is usually caused by unopposed exposure to the other female hormone, called as estrogen.

It is routinely employed to treat menstrual disorders like menorrhagia (heavy bleeding), premenstrual syndrome and endometriosis. In fact, it is central to treat endometrial hyperplasia induced menorrhagia. Alternatively, progesterone-impregnated intrauterine device can be used.

It is important to watch out for the side effects of this medicine on prolonged use. The side-effects can be weight gain, changes in libido, premenstrual-like syndrome, depression, gastro-intestinal disturbances and irregular bleeds. You may discuss with your physician, if you feel you are having any side-effects.

It is useful to do a repeat ultrasound of uterus regularly to see any changes happening in endometrium. Also a biopsy of endometrium should be taken to rule out more ominous diseases like cancer.

Hope, I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can help you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj