Took rabipur vaccination. Stray dog licked on finger. Started taking rabipur vaccination. Worrisome

Excellent

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Hello, my name is XXXXXXX. I have taken 5 doses of rabipur vaccine 1 month back that is on 0,7,14,28 and 90 days.
But last week stray dog licked my leg finger which is intact. So I am again taking the rabipur vaccine again and i have taken 2 doses till now.Can you tell me is there any side effect of taking so much vaccine like this, i am worried. Also tell me if a person has completed complete rabipur course then upto how much time period it will be effective that is there any need to take the vaccine again if dog bites.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Please do not worry.
Answer 1. The additional doses of vaccine you have taken won't cause you any harm.
However you neednot take any further doses.
Answer 2. Mostly a person is considered protected by rabipur vaccine till his blood antibody levels do not fall below 0.5IU/ ml.
That may take atleast a year or more . So within that time you don't need additional doses . You can get your self tested annually and booster dose ( single injection ) can be taken if antibody titres fall below protective level.
As for now please do not take any further injections .
Hope that answers your query.
Please feel free to ask any further doubts .

Follow-up: Took rabipur vaccination. Stray dog licked on finger. Started taking rabipur vaccination. Worrisome 2 hours later
I have taken 5 rabipur vaccine last month,i.e, on 0,7,14,28 and 90 days respectively. I have consult about the schedule from many doctors. Some told me that the correct schedule is 0,3,7,14,18 and 90 day (optional), and i have missed the injection on 3rd day.Some told me only 4 injections are sufficient.I am very much confused about the schedule. Should i need another inhection to compensate the dose that was missed on day 3.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
You need not take any further injections.
The current recommended schedule is 0,3,7,14,28 ( 5 injections). The sixth( 90) being an optional booster dose. However since you have taken total 5 injections in the first immunisation and also two more now you neednot take any further injections at present.
Alternatively you can get your booster dose yearly after serologic testing ( next year) if you continue to have a high risk of exposure to dogs.
Please do not worry at present you seem at no risk of developing rabies.
Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Took rabipur vaccination. Stray dog licked on finger. Started taking rabipur vaccination. Worrisome 58 minutes later
Thanks mam, i am very much satisfied with your answer. My worries and fear of developing rabies came to an end.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the appreciation.
It's my pleasure to answer your health related queries.
Kindly press the accept button to close the query if you have no further doubts .