Took rabipur injection for dog bite. What test, treatment and precaution is required?

ENT Specialist
My wife was bitten by a home dog on 13th of this month - It was not very harsh bite though.Little blood came and we went to doctor & she had rabipur injection. We are following the schedule for injection as below. 0 th day(13th Oct), 3,7,14 & 28th day.Currently we had 7th day injection(20th of this month)
I have few queries regarding this:
1. How long do we have to monitor the dog and for what purposes? (What will happen if the dog gets infected & what treatment is required from our side for that?)
2. Given that we are going to take the injection for 5 doses, is there any other tests/treatment required?

Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should monitor the dog for at least 10 to 15 days. The dog may exhibit aggression or be very quiet. If the dog gets infected, there is no treatment for the dog. You must isolate and restrain the dog from biting other victims. Any warm blooded mammal can transmit rabies.

2. If the dog dies during this time period, the Post Exposure Rabies Vaccination for your wife must be completed. An optional booster dose may be taken after three months (Day 90). Rabies Immunoglobulin (RIG) may then be considered. Anti-Tetanus Vaccine may also be taken.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.