Took rabipur injection after dog bite. What are the precaution to be taken and is this injection fine?

Hi Sir

I have a dog bite yesterday

Also had Rabipur injection yest. Can I have some guidance on the restrictions and is the injection fine enough or do i need any more care..
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Wound should be cleaned thoroughly with soap and water and betadine lotion should be applied.

You will be requiring 5 doses of Rabipur on 0, 3rd, 7th, 14th & 28th day.

If wound is extensive, human rabies immunoglobulin is also given with first dose.

Two doses of tetanus toxoid should also be given.

A course of antibiotic may be required.

If possible observe dog for 10 days, and if dog is alive, further dose of Rabipur is not required.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma