Took plan b one step and it dissolved in mouth. Will it be effective?

Mar 2016

Hi. I have a question. I just took Plan B One Step and it dissolved in my mouth as I was trying to swallow it. Will it still be effective?
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Yes, it should be effective. Plan B One Step is an emergency contraceptive pill and it contains levonorgestrel. It should be taken within 72 hrs of unprotected sex for highest effectiveness.

There is no change of effectiveness by dissolving in mouth as drug is absorbed in body system through small particle and after that it works effectively.

So don't be much worried. Please practice safe sexual intercourse in the future also.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen.