Took plan b after sex, had red creamy discharge and no bleeding after that. What does that mean?

Mar 2016

i took plan b one step 2 weeks ago and 2 hours after sex... i experienced red creamy discharge yesterday and now it stopped.... i thought i was getting my period early but i have bleeded or anything since i seen the discharge... what does that mean?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Plan B one step is emergency contraceptive pill and contains levonorgestrel as ingredient. It gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy as you took the pill within 2 hrs of sex. Here, chance of pregnancy is quite low.
Second thing, red creamy discharge may be due to effect of the pill. Hormonal imbalance, pelvic infection, old endometrial tissue may precipitate the same thing. Implantation bleeding is least possible cause.
Here, I suggest to wait for coming period to original due date. If it is delayed more than 1 wk, you must undergo one home pregnancy test. For confirmation, one blood test for beta hCG is advisable.
Following above tests, you may consult with gynecologist for next line management. Avoid mental stress and maintain genital hygiene properly.
Hope, it helps you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.
Wish your good health. Good luck.
Dr Soumen