Took plan B after unprotected sex. Started spotting with white vaginal discharge. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I had unprotected sex right at the end of my period last week. I took the one step Plan B few hours later. Five days later, I saw some very small amount of white discharge, and when I wipe I saw some reddish blood. Should I be worry? Am I getting pregnant?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
If you are having regular periods there is less chance for pregnancy.
Because in case of regular periods usually ovum will not release on around 5th or 6th day of the menstrual cycle.
The blood you had could be side effect of the emergency pill.
As it can alter the menstrual pattern depending on the time of menstrual cycle when you took the pill.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
So possibly the bleeding will subside soon.
If you still have some doubt you can go for pregnancy test once at the time of your next expected date of periods, which will rule out the possibility.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took plan B after unprotected sex. Started spotting with white vaginal discharge. Should I be worried? 4 minutes later
What about the small amount of white discharge that I have? My last period lasted for 4 days, and it stopped after I took the pill. So I should be okay right?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later
Some amount of white discharge is commonly seen during different stages of menstrual cycle.
Like before and after periods, during ovulation etc.
If it is moderate in amount with no smell or itching, it can be considered as physiological discharge only.
And yes, if your periods are regular the chance of pregnancy is very low.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took plan B after unprotected sex. Started spotting with white vaginal discharge. Should I be worried? 12 hours later
Hi, I'm having what it looks like is another full-on period now. But my last period just ended 5 days ago. Is the side effect of Plan B? Is it possible to have 2 periods in one month?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
Yes, that could be side effect of Plan B.
As I mentioned previously the emergency pill will alter the menstrual pattern depending on the period of the menstrual cycle when you took the pill.
As you took the pill in the first half of the cycle it might have preponed the periods.