Took pill loestrin after period started. But stopped due to IBS. Have heavy bleeding and clots. Normal?

I started my period last fri. Nov 17th and then on Sunday I started taking the pill Loestrin 24. I stopped taking the pill after two days because I have ibs and it bothered my stomach. Today I started to have some cramping and some heavy bleeding with some clots. Is that normal. I have never taken Loestrin 24 before. Thanks
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query!
At this stage, it is normal to have bleeding on withdrawal of hormonal pills. Loestrin 24 contains two hormones (norethindrone and ethinylestradiol) and thus bleeding can be expected within 72 hours of withdrawal of the drug. Additionally, this bleeding could also be heavier than usual.
I would also suggest that you observe the amount of bleeding and see a gynaecologist if it gets excessive and troublesome.
We generally advise patients with IBS to avoid excessive medication.

I hope I have answered your query.
Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.