Took pill after unprotected sex. Started bleeding. Could I be pregnant?

Sep 2012

abdominal paini recently had unpritectd sex 2 days before ovulation, and took the morning after pill on the day of ovulation. 4 days after my fiance n i had unprotectd sex again and was advised by the doctor to tke the morning after pill again 2 days after. however before taking the second morning after, i expierenced some bleedn which was lighter n lasted for only two days. could i be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

First, you have to understand that when ovulation occurs, then the chance of getting pregnant becomes very much increased. Morning after pill is near about 99% effective if it is taken within 24 hrs. of sexual intercourse. The effectiveness of this drug gradually decreases along the time.

Now, you have taken two morning after pill within 6 days gap. Morning after pill contains high dose of hormonal agents which prevent pregnancy. But during its functioning, it virtually destroys your hormonal balance. Hormonal balance in your body regulates the menstrual cycle. When this system is destroyed, there is increased chance of irregular bleeding tendency, irregular menstruation, and some generalized symptoms like headache, nausea, abdominal discomfort, and abdominal pain as you mentioned.

So, all the symptoms you described are due to side effects of this drug.

But, as far as pregnancy is concerned, I would like to say that there is low chance of pregnancy. Because you have taken two morning after pill in a short period of time. But, no guarantee can be given as you have taken this drug after two days of sexual intercourse.

For your abdominal pain, you have to take one pantoprazole group of drug in empty stomach. And one anti spasmodic agent.

For confirmation of your pregnancy status, you have to do the followings
1.     Do a home pregnancy test on or after the day of your missed period. That means you have to perform the test on or after the expected date of your next period, if you miss it.
2.     If the above test is noncontributory, you can do an ultrasound scan. It is the gold standard investigation.

You may consult with your treating doctor for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering investigations required, and for prescribing the abovementioned drugs.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.