Took penedeine fort by mistake. Having sore throat and allergic to codeine. What to do?

I have mistakenly taken penedeine fort as I have sore throat , (not realising it was codeine ) and I'm allergic to codeine what should I do
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 days later
Brief Answer:
urgent medical help is advisable

Detailed Answer:

You are allergic to codeine and you have consumed it without knowledge, so you are likely to have allergic manifestations very soon. Treatment should be carried out under the care of a local physician who will assess you for the severity of your problem and if needed he can start you on the antiallergic medicines and monitor response to treatment. Some patients may need steroid for sometime.
At times such reactions can be very serious and can lead to severe drop in Blood pressure and warrant very urgent intervention.
In some patients there can be severe swelling of lips and oral edema and also throat swelling which can lead to choking and if not treated urgently, can be life threatening.
So it is worthwhile that you seek medical help as soon as possible.
I hope the advice given will be helpful for you.