Took paracetamol for headache. Feeling discomfort in wisdom tooth. Is this the side effect of medicine?

I have a headache almost every second day, i take either disprin or paracetamol (250mg) once on such days and get relief. Occasionally the headache is coupled with discomfort in wisdom tooth area.
In fact five years back i got a root canal done just because i thought that the headache could be on account of a tooth problem. What could be the side effects of taking disprin / paracetamol in the aforesaid quantity? I am 31 yr old working female with a 2.5 yr old child and otherwise a sedentary lifestyle
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
You have said that you consume either disprin [Aspirin + Paracetamol] or paracetamol (250mg) once a day for pain relief.
Paracetamol if taken at high dose , daily can affect liver . It causes liver damage if dose is 10g or more of paracetamol or 5g or more of paracetamol.

Taking above mentioned drugs at 250 mg dose will not cause any side effect due to over dose. But as you are taking it almost every alternate day, get liver enzymes done after 6 months to be on safer side.

Just for your future reference, if you fall in following mentioned category then you are at risk of liver damage.

a] Long term treatment with carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, rifampicin, St John’s Wort or other drugs that induce liver enzymes.

b] Regularly consume ethanol in excess of recommended amounts.

c] Likely to be glutathione deplete e.g. eating disorders, cystic fibrosis.

So currently need not worry about paracetamol toxicity but instead of just taking pain killers for headache rule out the cause for headache like ear problems/eye problems/dental problem/ neck problems.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.