Took overdose of panadeines. Experiencing cough and fluttering in heart. Any complication?

Hi I took an overdose of panadeines yesterday know I am experiencing a futtering heart and everytime it futters I cough what can that be? I have had a heart attack about 4 years ago I take overdoses of panadeines regularly but never had this reaction before only took 16 tablets
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the question,
Panadeine is a drug that contains paracetamol and codeine phosphate is core constituents. taking excessive doses of this drug could have very negative consequences on other key body organs such as the liver and the kidneys. Acute liver failure could results from this with very acute fatal consequences.
The maximum number of panadeine tablets to be taken per day is 8. Panadeine might not work well in some patients who take it alongside alcohol or other drugs. It could be worth concerting with your history of heart disease, excess panadeine has not been described to have direct effects on the heart. It causes heart burn in some patients. However, it could be worth while visiting the emergency room for a physical examination and electrocardiogramme to be done to ascertain what is going on. Drinking much water however could be sufficient in flushing out the excess quantities of panadeine from your body. Other pain control techniques like ice packs, massage could help.