Took of toe nail fungus. Having bed nail. Should use fungal cream?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I took off my toe nail fungus . I have only the bed nail . Should i use a fungos cream ?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection of nail

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query.

Nail infection is medically called onychomycosis and is most commonly caused by fungi called dermatophytes which infect skin, hair and nails.

Onychomycosis of toe nails is due to wearing ill fitting (tight) shoes causing increased sweating and trauma to nails. This allows the fungi to grow easily and cause infection.

Treatment of nail infection requires oral anti fungal therapy rather than local application of antifungal cream.

As your nail bed is exposed, there is chance of local penetration but may not be effective enough to cure infection.

I suggest you get in touch with a skin doctor and get a prescription for oral antifungal medications.
Many effective antifungal drugs are available like Terbinafine, Itraconazole, Fluconazole which have to be taken for at least 12 weeks (3 months) for complete clearance of fungal infection.

I would also like to suggest the following to prevent recurrence of fungal infection:
1. Keep toe nails short.
2. Keep feet clean and dry.
3. Avoid tight shoes and wear clean and dry socks.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.