Took norvelo 1.5mg after unprotected sex. Started black discharge with tender breast. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Average
Question
Hi I took norvelo 1.5mg on Sunday morning approx 5 hours after the accident. It had no effect on me since last night where I'm having light cramping brown/black discharge and tender breasts. I took norvelo on the Sunday and only had finished my 5 day period the Thursday befor that. Is this normal or could I b pregnant even though I really think myself that I took it before I ovulated
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Emergency pill can cause side effects like menstrual irregularities, brownish discharge, bloating sensation, pain abdomen, breast tenderness etc.
So your symptoms could be because of that.
Usually these will subside soon without need of medication.
As you took the pill in the first half of the cycle there is possibility for preponement of the periods.
For more details on emergency pills:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
And the chance of pregnancy is less as you had intercourse before the fertile period and also you took the emergency pill within time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took norvelo 1.5mg after unprotected sex. Started black discharge with tender breast. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Would it also cause nausea. I can't understand it. I had none of these symptoms until yesterday. Would that b normal for symptoms to appear 5 days after taking it. I sometimes today have a pain in my left Lower side it's like ovulation pain that I would get in a normal cycle and I'm so worried.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Emergency pill can cause nausea due to the high hormonal content in it than regular contraceptive pills.
Usually the side effects can be seen within 2 to 3 days after taking the tablets but some women may have delayed symptoms also.
As I told there is possibility of preponement of periods because of the pill, your symptoms could also be because of that or as it is your regular ovulatory period according to your cycle your pain could be ovulatory pain.
As the chance of pregnancy is less you don't worry.
If you get periods early it is ok, if not wait till your expected date of periods.
If you miss the date go for blood test for pregnancy once which will rule out the possibility.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.