Took norethisterone. Started bleeding after periods. Is this a side effect of medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I took Norethisterone recently as I was going on holiday, ive taken them before with no problems. I finished taking them and had a period which was normal. Now 18 days later I have started bleeding again, no cramps ect and its like the end of a period as in the blood is quite brown, is this a side affect or do I need to see my doctor?
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 50 minutes later

Usually after completion of norethisterone tablets most of the women will have regular periods.
But in some women it can alter the next menstrual cycles.
So, possibly this bleeding could be because of alteration of the hormone levels by the tablets.
It can possibly subside in few days.
If the bleeding continues or if you get inter menstrual bleeding in the next also better to consult gynecologist once and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took norethisterone. Started bleeding after periods. Is this a side effect of medicine? 14 minutes later
Thank you, that has helped. Just wanted to check tho that intercourse wouldn't have caused the bleeding. I also have a new partner who's well endowded, i had a little pain and the bleeding started 2 days later or do you think it is more than likely the tablets i took to stop my periods. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
Sometimes post coital tear can occur after intercourse which can lead to pain and bleeding.
But usually that will happen immediately after the act. Rarely if the clotted blood on the tear dislodges after 2 days bleeding can occur.
So if the pain and bleeding are persisting better to consult gynecologist once to get examined and to rule out this possibility.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.