Took nordette. Feeling nauseous, abdominal pain and getting vomit sensation. Should I visit ER?

Mar 2013
Hi I took Nordette as an emergency contraceptive- 4 pills at 3 pm then 4 more at 3 am last night. This morning I woke up feeling nauseous and like I wanted to vomit but had difficulty doing so. Was able to vomit very little but then started having pain in my upper abdomen close to my chest. i took a nap and when i woke up 3 hrs later the pain was still there but is subsiding, especially after i ate some food. Should i stil go to the hospital? woud alsi like to mention that i consumed some alcohol last night before taking second set of pills?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
Firstly, the dose of emergency contraceptive pills taken does lead to nausea and vomiting.
ALso, the alcohol would be responsible for gastritis, that is pain in the upper abdomen, close to the chest.
This is what we commonly call heartburn.
It was irrational to take alcohol with the pills, as alcohol reduces the efficacy of hormonal tablets.
The pain got relieved with food, which further means that it was due to alcohol induced gastritis.
Try taking an OTC antacid or some plain chilled milk.
If the pain persists or worsens, yes you should go to the hospital and have an evaluation.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Took nordette. Feeling nauseous, abdominal pain and getting vomit sensation. Should I visit ER? 21 minutes later
thank you, the pain has subsided but i still feel it a little. sometimes im not sure if its only in my upper abdomen or if it is in my chest too. i have read thatmergency contraceptions increase risk of heart attack/heart problems.

also, would like to know if the EC would still be effective even though i drank alcohol?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
It does increase the risk of cardiac problems, which is why I asked you to visit the ER if the pain persists.
Alcohol would reduce the efficacy of the EC, however it depends on the dose taken.