Took neurobin for Vit B12 deficiency. Recent test showed normal level. Can I stop taking medicine?

Nov 2013

I had been diagnosed with Vit B12 deficiency a couple of months ago and I was prescriber Neurobin for 2 months. After completion of this course, my Vit B12 levels have gone up to 357 from 180. Do I still need to continue taking the medication?

Also, I have always had a diet which included meat and diary products. So just wanted to know if should I be taking any other tests to diagnose the cause of Vit B12 deficiency.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

You should continue the supplements for some more time, until your vitamin B12 level reaches about 500-600 pg/ml.

Methycobal is a better supplement than neurobion.

I agree with you that the chances of vitamin B12 deficiency is less in people taking non-veg food. So, we need to exclude any gut problem leading to lesser absorption of B12. Please consult a gastroenterologist for endoscopy and gastric biopsy.

In addition, you may also do a blood test to look for antibodies against intrinsic factor and parietal cells, which may reduce the absorption of vitamin B12 in the gut.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: