Took morning after pill. Had protected sex and condom slipped. Have cramps and white discharge. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

I took the morning after pill a week and 2 days ago. I started to ovulate two days before I took the pill. I did had protected sex but the condom slipped off and semen was still in the condom but just took the pill an hour after for protection from an unwanted pregnancy. Now I am experiencing some cramps and creamy white discharge. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later

First of all, you had taken the morning after pill following one hour of sex and it will give you more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. So, chance of pregnancy is less but it needs to confirm.

After taking the pill, most women usually get a withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 days. Here, you are getting creamy white discharge (due to effect of progesterone) and some cramping which are quite common prior to commencement of period (associated with premenstrual symptoms). However, these are also seen in early weeks of pregnancy.

But, it is too early for confirmation of pregnancy. Here, you need to wait for upcoming period and undergo one home pregnancy test immediately after missed period. One blood test for beta hCG is required after one week to confirm the same in the absence of period.

According to test reports, you need to consult with your gynecologist for next line management of the case. Take suggestive treatment as recommended.

Maintain your genital hygiene properly. Don't be stressed which can impact on your period. Practice safe & protected sex in future.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen