Took montek lc for allergic rhinitis. Found out pregnant. Have blocked nose and breathing difficulty. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
My wife has been suffering from allergic rhinitis for the last 1.5 years and she used to suddenly wake up in the night and start coughing uncontrollably and a warm cup of milk with turmeric in it would control the cough within 15 mins. She took Montek LC for about a month and later moved to alternate medicine (homeopathy). As long as she was taking homeopathic medicines, the cough was under control. Now, she is 8 weeks pregnant and seems to be suffering from rhinitis of pregnancy and her usual medicines are not helping. She has severely blocked nose and is unable to breathe. Steam inhalation or saline nasal sprays are not helping or are very temporary. Considering that she is in her first trimester, we dont want to take allopathic medicines. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that your wife has allergic rhinitis and now her symptoms have worsened in Pregnancy. Pregnancy leads to congestion in nose and it is a known fact.
The options that you have tried like saline nasal sprays, steam inhalation do work at times but they may need an add on medicine or a nasal deongestant drops. In the present situation I would advise you to consult a ENT surgeon as it may be because of hypertrophy of turbinates or nasal polyps. It will be inappropriate to advise medicines on the basis of the history alone.

I would not be able to give my opinion on homeopathic medicnes and other alternative medicines as this is not the area of my expertise.

For the known allergens you can think of avoiding contact with these allergens by use of a mask and keeping her room dust free, changing bed sheet at bed time, removing soft toys from the room (as the dust deposits in them may cause allergy).

Once the Pregnancy is over there will be some improvement in her symptoms and than you can think of treatment of allergic rhinitis at that stage.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma