Took mifepristone pill. When will I start bleeding? How long should I take bed rest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hello doc.... I m 25 years old.... I m married ... I m pregnant ... I mood MTPROST kit... I took one tab last day around 1 pm... today on same time I feel too much pain .. I put next 4 tabs in my vagina... tell me for how much time I have to take bed rest... I put 4 tabs before half an hr... and after how much time the bleeding will start
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer your query.

From your information, I can assume that you took one mifepristone 200 mg tab last day and today put rest four misoprostol 200 mg inside the vagina.

It is not authorized to take MTPROST kit or any kind of abortifacient drugs without doctor's consultation. As taking those kind of drug may cause excessive vaginal bleeding and abdominal cramp which you may not control yourself at home. Doctor's supervision is must.

In general, two misoprostol (200 mg) tabs are to be taken 48 hrs after taking the mifepristone (200 mg) tab. Other two tabs may need to repeat orally or vaginally after 12 hrs according to amount of vaginal bleeding.

In your case, minimum 8-12 hrs bed rest is required to be effective above drugs.
Within this time period, vaginal bleeding and abdominal cramp start. In some case, it may take more times up to 7 days to complete resolve the abortion procedure.

In addition, you should know certain things as follows:

1) Medical abortion is completely done up to XXXXXXX 7-9 weeks of pregnancy.

2) An ultrasound scan (USG) is required after medical abortion & it is mandatory to check retained bits or incomplete products.

3) In such case, surgical method of abortion (D & C) is needed to be done and you must contact with your gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & practice safe sex to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took mifepristone pill. When will I start bleeding? How long should I take bed rest? 9 minutes later
Now what can I do ... I put all the 4 tabs together.... is it work or not?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

First of all, you make a mistake to take above medication without proper direction from doctor or healthcare provider.

You should wait at least 12 hrs and maximum 48 hrs to get result like bleeding or cramp. If medical abortion fails, you can opt for D & C (surgical procedure) after consultation with gynecologist.

Hope it helps you. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took mifepristone pill. When will I start bleeding? How long should I take bed rest? 14 hours later
Bleeding started after 7 hrs.... plz tell me for how many days bleeding stay? How I come to know inside is clean...

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Bleeding may continue up to 7 days XXXXXXX till abortion procedure is completed.

Following that, you should undergo one ultrasound scan to check retained bits or incomplete products.

In such case, you should consult with gynecologist to proceed D & C to complete the abortion.

Hope this helps you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen