Took mefigest and bleeding was not too heavy and it stopped. Worried for same. Suggest?

Hello Doctor, i took mefigest since saturday and last dose is for today. I took this tab at 37th day of my menstual cycle. Bleeding was not too heavy but was there for one day yesterday. But there is no bleeding now. Do i have to wait until the next day or how can i consider this as aborted. Worried on the same.Kindly suggest
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 30 minutes later

Firstly, I would like to know if you started the medication under the surveillance of a gynecologist. It is very essential when you undergo a medical abortion that the entire process is supervised by a specialist. The presence of an intrauterine pregnancy should be confirmed along with the exact period of gestation and the dosage prescribed accordingly. Otherwise, there is the risk of an incomplete abortion leading to infection or heavy bleeding and sometimes, an ectopic pregnancy may be missed. The completion of the abortion should be confirmed a fortnight later by a sonogram and a physical exam.

Usually during a very early abortion, there is not much bleeding and the passage of products of conception is not so obvious. This can only be confirmed by a physical exam and a trans-vaginal sonogram. I would ask you to see a gynecologist immediately to get further management as this cannot be predicted online. Please maintain genital hygiene so as to avoid any infection.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please fee free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.