Took medicine for migraine. Getting severe headache and feeling heavy headed. How to cure it?

Hi, I have migraine from several years but the severity lasts only a day and it subsides once i take painkillers and anti depressent (Amitriptiine tablets). From last one week my headache is severe and along with it i feel very heavy in the head. Whole of my head is heavy and the pain is very severe and it is only coming down a bit for couple of hours when i take pain killers and coming back again after the medicine effect is gone.
What may be the reason for this pain and heaviness in head and what should i take to cure it?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
I understand your concern with severe headache. Based on your history there could be three possibilities.
1. Headache related to sinusitis- Sinus x-ray PA view is essential; Antihistaminergics like cetrizine would be effective
2. Medication overuse headache- Due to excess use of pain killers; Kindly avoid excessive use of pain killers
3. Resistant migraine- You may require preventive agents like triptans on a long term basis. Please see your physician for this.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr Sundar