Took medicine for headache. Noticed increase of taste and smell. What is going on?

I woke up this morning with a terrable head ache.I got reliefe after taking 1 Ivy Profen 3 hours apart.
After this I noticed a increase of taste & smell. I also felt strange, almost in a dream state all day.

Any explaination?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     45 year old male
•     Known case of Marfan syndrome
•     Complaints of: increase of taste & smell and dream like state after improvement in headache with Ibuprofen.
You case is interesting and but difficult too. There are multiple diagnostic possibilities in your case. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy which need to be investigated:
•     Neurological problem: As your problem started with headache and proceed to change in taste and smell. Presence of Marfan also increases chances of developing central nervous system disorders. You may need evaluation by neurologist and MRI brain.
•     Anxiety disorder: All these symptoms are possible in some anxiety disorders.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use: Stop use if present.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal