Took medicine for fever. Started getting headache and runny nose. Precaution to be taken?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi doctor, i was suffering from fever yesterday. visited a nearby doctor and took medications .severe throat pain was there from day before yesterday. But now the condition has improved apart from slight running nose and head ache while sitting in office ,mainly due to AC i guess.
I have been getting affected to climate changes and falling sick quite often like once in 2-3 months...Hence kindly suggest me the required precautions or checkups that might be required to prevent this.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Repeated bouts of viral infection is commonly associated with changing season but may be seen all the year round. In these cases prevention is always better than cure.
To prevent recurrent colds, wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after blowing nose, cover the nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, do not use the same towels or eating utensils as someone who has a cold and check out if you are in contact with friends who have repeated cold infections. Viruses causing cold are highly contagious.
You may also be having a lowered immune system which predisposes you to frequent infections soon. Poor diet and low iron contents causing anemia may cause lack of essential nutrients which may make the body less fit to fight germs. Eating a healthy, balanced diet and hydrating the body with plenty of water can help your immune system be stronger.

Also get your hemoglobin levels checked to check for any anemia. Take more of vitamin C which is a general supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Do involve in more physical activities,outdoor sports than indoor games.This builds immunity.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Took medicine for fever. Started getting headache and runny nose. Precaution to be taken? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor for the suggestions provided. I will keep a watch on it for the coming days and will definitely stick to better diet and water consumption.
Also i have faced kidney stone issues twice in last 4 years.
Last time around 5 stones were there and i had to undergo lithotripsy to get rid of the same. Post the therapy there was only one 5.3 mm stone which the doctor advised will move out on its own with fluid consumption. These days i feel a slight pain in the right kidney where the stone was present but on consumption of water the pain subsides. I would like to get an advice from you about preventing further occurence of kidney stones and getting rid of the current one as well.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones. Drinking lots of water helps to flush away the substances that form stones in the kidneys. Also indulge in exercises like skipping and trampolining which might help in flushing out the small stones.

Also limit your coffee, tea, and cola to 1 or 2 cups a day and depending on the type of stone, get a diet chart prescribed from a dietitian. If you have a uric acid stone, you should eat less meat and if they are calcium oxalate you may need to limit foods that are high in oxalate. These foods include rhubarb, beets, spinach, and chocolate.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.