Ask a Urologist   »  

Took medicine for enlarged prostate gland. Having frequent urination. Precaution to be taken?

My prostate gland was found to be enlarged 3-4 years back while I had some urinary infection. I was given certain medicines and was asked to get the regular check ups done..
I am just 35 years of age and enlarged prostate at this age is very rare....
Though I have no urinary problem since then except frequent urination prior to going for sleep, what are reasons of its being enlarged and risks involved..??
Also share precautions to be taken....
Is there any direct connection of weight with the size of prostate?? Is it possible to bring the size of prostate to normal?? If yes, how???
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted, it appears that you had enlarged prostate 4 years back. You have rightly said that it is very uncommon to have enlarged prostate at the age of 35 years.

Your enlarged prostate 4 years back could be due to bacterial infection of the prostate (Prostatitis), which might have subsided after medicines (Antibiotics) that were prescribed. Since you do not have any urinary symptoms now, it is most unlikely that you have enlarged prostate now..

Have you repeated your ultrasound scanning very recently? If not done so far, get it done now to confirm whether you still have enlarge prostate or not.

There is no relation between enlarged prostate and weight of the body.

Generally, we do not prescribe medications at this age that reduce the size of the prostate as these drugs have side effects like decreasing the sexual desire.(Libido)

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Took medicine for enlarged prostate gland. Having frequent urination. Precaution to be taken? 57 minutes later
Is there any natural way to reduce the size??? Some exercise or physical activity???
Is Enlarged prostate an indication of some serious illness???
Are people with enlarged prostate more prone to Prostate cancer???
If size of the prostate is still large, what precaution do you suggest???
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
You have not posted the size of the prostate reported on your Ultrasound scanning report.
I again suggest you to get ultrasound scanning done now.The volume of the prostate 4 years back should not be given too much importance now.

Enlarged prostate is a benign . condition and always age related and occurs after the age of 55 onwards.and not serious at all As one gets cataract at old age the same is true with enlarged prostate..
Enlarged prostate is a benign condition and is separate entity from cancer of the prostate.However enlarged prostate may undergo malignant changes.or can coexist with cancer..

Size of the prostate is not important A small prostate can have severe obstructive urinary symptoms while big prostate may be symptomless..

If the size of the prostate is large and if one does not have obstructive urinary symptoms one has to be just under observation.and consult Urologist if develops obstructive or voiding symptoms like increase frequency.nocturnal frequency ,hesitancy , urgency or UTI.

Thanks with regards.