Took medicine for GERD. Getting stiff neck and tingling sensation. Side effect of medicine?

General Surgeon
I am on several meds for GERD. After I eat, sometimes I get instant bloat, my neck gets stiff and tingly along with the back of my head and I get pale. Then it stops after a few minutes. Is this from the acid reflux? My physician seems to think it is and that's fine if it is. Could it be food allergies maybe that cause all of my indigestion, acid problems and this weird feeling in the neck and back of the head?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Head ache is rather hardly caused by GERD. It seems to be something else.
Typical GERD symptoms are chest burning, nausea, vomiting, throat inflammations. Very often GERD us associated with asthma disease so you may also suffer from caught and shortness of breath.
Headache after a meal can be caused by many conditions including blood pressure drop (swallowing and digesting needs lots of blood), stress, hormonal disturbance. There has been also discovered connection between tyramine intolerance and headaches. Tyramine is a organic substance present in proteins. Some people does not tolerate it and it can give symptoms like yours.
Tyramine is present in fermented products like cheese, meat which has been stored too long and other long lifetime products. So I suggest you to try avoid such products and see if it will help. You should also check your blood pressure if such episode will appear.
If no blood pressure drop and no tyramine intolerance, you should visit laryngologist and neurologist for further examination.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.