Took medication for persistent cough. Now having phlegm. What to do?

Question
I had cough one month back and it was there for more than 20 days, even after having syrups and medicines prescribed by doctors. But still it was not recovered. Now i do not have cough but I feel have more flem . Suggest me what to do now.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may need antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

Cough for longer duration with production of sputum indicates infection. Infection can only be treated by a course of antibiotics.

Since now the cough has gone I consider taking antibiotics would not help. You may have to take Expectorant syrups like AMBROLITE S 10 ml thrice daily after food. This will dissolve the sputum and help you breath free.

Follow-up: Took medication for persistent cough. Now having phlegm. What to do? 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your fast response.

Sorry, I could have specified all the below info while raising my question.

As my problem was solved using one syrup went to other doctor and I have used the below syrups one after another each 5 or 6 days with antibiotics

Ist course : rexcoff

II Course :
Histafree 120 tab
Deripyllin tab
Ascoril Expectoran Syrup
Stafcure

III Course :

Aziwok 500 MG
Bro Zedex SF 100 ml Syrup

Can you pl. review again and suggest me

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue BRO ZEDEX alone

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the information.

Aziwok is an antibiotic. Since you have finished the course then there is no need to worry. Do continue the Bro zedex alone now to get rid of the sputum. Do not take Ambrolyte or any other medications mentioned above.

Follow-up: Took medication for persistent cough. Now having phlegm. What to do? 6 days later
ok. I am scaring now.. again i got dry cough. worried now is something serious.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Its the normal course

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for late response,

Its normal course of an respiratory tract infection to present with dry cough once the sputum is cleared.

Need not worry, continue Bro-zedex for few more days.