Took medicaine for drainage in throat. Facing difficulty to swallow and breath. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
I recently was on Penicillin and extra strength Mucinex for severe drainage which cause white patches on my throat. I tested negative for Strep. It went away for away but kinda feels as if it may be coming back. It feels like I now have an irritated tastebud on the back of my tongue going down my throat, which almost feels as if something is stuck on the back of my tongue. There are no white spots present. It's on the left side. It also feels lie I have constant drainage down the back of my throat which sometimes makes it hard to swallow and breath. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 35 minutes later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nose gets congested, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough, throat pain and difficulty in swallowing.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa of the nose and throat moist, and relief from throat discomfort.
3. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol to reduce the consistency of the secretions.
3. Saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
4. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.
5. If the symptoms do not improve within 3-4 days you can try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime. The usual course is 10-14 days, depending upon the severity of infections.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon