Took lithium carbonate. Hardly urinate even though feel like. What to do?

I took lithium carbonate for 25 years and my doctor said my kidneys "took a big hit" Now I can hardly urinate even though I feel I have to.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Lithium is not per se that much toxic for kidney as to cause a great hit.
You may be having kidney problem due to other hidden trouble. You have difficulty in passing urine that means urine must be there.
Please get a physician review again and also get renal function test and complete blood counts done to get an idea of the problem.
I am enumerating the adverse effects of lithium just for your knowledge, you can see kidney problem is not a major issue but if you have kidney problem for some reason the dose of lithium needs to be decreased.
Adverse effect of lithium therapy-
Exacerbation of psoriasis, acne, rash; nausea, diarrhoea, vertigo, muscle weakness, dazed feeling; loss of concentration; tremors; hypothyroidism; weight gain, oedema; cardiac arrhythmias; exophthalmos; restlessness; electrolyte disturbances.
Potentially Fatal: Severe neurotoxicity, leucopenia.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Took lithium carbonate. Hardly urinate even though feel like. What to do? 3 hours later
What kind of doctor should I go to? XXXXXXX Wiley
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 29 hours later
Welcome to back to Healthcare Magic.
A XXXXXXX Physician that is an XXXXXXX Medicine doctor would be the most appropriate person to have a clinical examination, assessment and plan treatment
in your case.
He may want you to undergo some investigations as I have advised in the previous answer.
I hope the answer will be helpful for you.