Took levonelle after intercourse and had periods. Have tender breast. Side effect or pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I took levonelle within a few hours (the condom broke!) after intercourse,I had a period 1 week later..totally normal. I finished my period 3 days ago and my breasts are very tender-is this a side effect of levonelle or risk of pregnancy? I took a pregnancy test which was negative but I'm aware they say to take a test when your period is late. Would just like a bit of advice please!
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later

Yes, levonelle can cause breast tenderness as a side effect.
As you had periods after taking the emergency pill, if that was your regular period there is very less chance for pregnancy.
Usually this breast tenderness will subside soon with out need of any medication.
If you want you can go for blood test for pregnancy after one week, which will completely rule out the possibility of pregnancy.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took levonelle after intercourse and had periods. Have tender breast. Side effect or pregnancy? 27 hours later
Thank you for your help.i just wondered how long it takes for levonelle to leave my system?it must be 2weeks now since I took it and the breast tenderness and swelling happened after my period which was earlier than normal.ive heard levonelle is quite a large dose of hormones that can stay on the system?and is it possible to ovulate so soon after a period as that's how my body feels!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later

The half life of the levonelle is around 26 hours. So it will leave the system possibly by 5 to 6 days.
But the high dose of hormone in it will disturb the normal hormonal levels. So, it will take some time for regularization of these hormonal levels.
Till that time the side effects can continue.
Temporary side effects will possibly clear up by the time of your next period.
The time of ovulation differ from person to person.
In case of 28 to 30 day cycle, ovulation can occur at around 14th to 16th day of the cycle.
If the length of cycle shortens the ovulation can occur earlier.
You can take symptomatic treatment like analgesics for breast tenderness. Possibly this will subside soon.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.