Took levonelle-2 during unplanned pregnancy. Harmful for baby ?

hi! took the levanelle2 ( morning after pill)! did a test next week and i found out what i was already pregnant when i took that pill! is it harmful for baby development! would baby has abnormalities or disabilities in the future? thanks
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 13 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your unplanned pregnancy.

2 questions would matter in here:
1. Have you taken levanelle2 within 72 hrs of intercourse.
2. Do you want to continue pregnancy?

Now to answer your query;

1. Tubal pregnancy is a risk. Stomach ache is the first symptom. You need to discuss this first by a gynecologist.

2. Disabilities in baby may occur . But the disability is not directly caused due to the drug.

I shall encourage you to consult your doctor and help you.

Whichever case get seen by the specialist for an examination.

Discuss an appropriate method of contraception - an intrauterine device would be suited for a primi para (1 living child) like yourself.

Morning after pills are only an emergency method, and not successful always.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, do not hesitate to reply.

Follow-up: Took levonelle-2 during unplanned pregnancy. Harmful for baby ? 1 hour later
I took the EC pill when i was already pregnant 2- 3 weeks, because "Clear blue test"( which i made 5 days after taking the pill), showed 2- 3 weeks pregnant! i took that pill without knowing what there was existing pregnancy, ! i do want to keep the pregnancy, but very scared if that will reflect on my baby physical and mental development! thanks
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the additional feedback.

Exactly, I was pointing the same - the fact that you were unaware of your pregnancy when taking the pill. And now that you want to continue pregnancy - hence it is called unplanned in medical terms.

Levonorgestrel belongs to FDA ( Food and Drug Administration )pregnancy category X. This means that levonorgestrel is known to cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Hormonal changes during pregnancy can have very serious negative effects on a developing baby. But, you need to discuss this aspect with the gynecologist.

But, the above 2 risks are rare and there is a good chance that you would be able to continue pregnancy. I am telling you this which is on paper.

Clinical tests on you would tell more and bring a decision.

And for that a visit is needed.

Write back in case you have further queries.