Took laxative pill after days of constipation. Had normal bowel movement followed by diarrhea. Advise?

Question
I took 2 laxative pills yesterday after days of constipation,, first nornal b ms in morning then severe diahrea all day from 11 AM till now,, just took 2 tsp of Immodium,, should I take more
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
dear patient

If the loose stools are caused by the laxative, the best course of action would be to hold any laxatives and let your bowels recover normal motility; however if loperamide is used, after the initial dose it can be repeated every 6

truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Took laxative pill after days of constipation. Had normal bowel movement followed by diarrhea. Advise? 23 minutes later
I took two teaspoons of immodane an hour ago,, since them hemmorhoids finally started bleeding. How much more immodium can I take before bedtime

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 minutes later
the maximum recommended would be 8 tablets (in your case teaspoons) in a 24 hour period

best regards