Took keyflex for bursitus. Developed yeast infection, rash between legs & white tongue. Now?

am 77 yrs old ..went to Ruematologist for what was thought to be Bursitus...offered up two weeks large dose of
keyflex for two weeks..then 2 weeks more...turns out was gout like (high level of Yurick acid),,,,,very angry at I now have come down with Thrush...yeast infection.....rash between legs & white tongue.......prescribed
Fluconazole...7 pills no effect...gave me refill...says takes 14 days........Im reading maybe not.....question is....WAS IT THE KEYFLEX?.....DO I NEED SPECIALIST?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keflex is most probably the reason

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry about your current health status.

Yes, it is possible that the large dose of Keflex that you took for almost 4 weeks caused this problem of thrush/yeast infection now.

Keflex is a Cephalosporin antibiotic. At high dose and longer duration, it causes suppression of general immunity of a person, and subsequently development of yeast infections.

Continue to take the Fluconazole for 7 more days. You need multivitamins and general improvement of your health. consume more vegetables, fruits and white meat.

You can see a specialist for the high uric acid or the gout issue.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Took keyflex for bursitus. Developed yeast infection, rash between legs & white tongue. Now? 19 minutes later
To: Dr Shanthi

Please answer whether the yeast infection interfered with a subsequent
blood test which showed a high jump in glucose and a huge jump in
Cholesteral and Triglicerides and other
important cardio factors. Is this inter-related?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is inter-related

Detailed Answer:

The yeast infection and the subsequent blood test reports are inter-related. However, the yeast infection as such, by itself has not caused the raise.

You probably already had pre-existing high blood glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, and other cardiac markers. And then, the yeast infection occurred. And, subsequently you have done the tests when the levels were high.

Hope this is clear to you.