Took keflex for supraclavicular node enlargement with pain. Experiencing shoulder pain. Any cure?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a 4 week history of right-sided supraclavicular node enlargement w/pain. I did a 10-day course of Keflex with little improvement. Now, I am experiencing increased shoulder/sternum pain and same-sided neck to ear pain. Dr. will try another round of Keflex 2000mg/daily. Good move? I am 48 years of age.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma
On the basis of the information provided I would suggest you to to plan for a fine needle aspiration cytology of the neck node and X XXXXXXX chest and endoscopy of larynx, oesophagus and bronchoscopy ( Laryngoscopy, oesphagoscopy and bronchoscopy) .
The response to the antibiotic, the location of neck swelling and a family history of oral ca in sister, history of malignant melanoma in father and tubulo villous adenoma in mother plus the history of tobacco usage in past poses you to the risk of aero digestive malignancy. It is too early to give a final concluding remark as the investigations are not done yet but it will be appropriate to plan for the above mentioned investigations and a ENT consultation for the diagnosis.

I hope thios answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Took keflex for supraclavicular node enlargement with pain. Experiencing shoulder pain. Any cure? 16 days later
I finished yet another round of the Keflex 500mg 4x/daily/10days. Along the way, have developed incredible right ear pain (no infection or problems per visual) into my cheek, nose and behind my eye. All right-sided as well. Dr. thinks trigeminal neuralgia. Now, just got US results back of enlarged supraclavicular node on right side. Findings are a nodule? Also had chest xray done. Findings: 10mm ? between the 3rd and 4th ribs on right lung. Next, will schedule for CT w/contrast. So, I'm a little nervous with the whole SN/lung ca connection. I was wondering what your thoughts were. I am 48, but have a very young family of 4 under 12. Is there any more urgency to be taken or just await the scheduling and results of CT?

Thanks for your time

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 3 hours later
Hello
Thanks for a follow up query
I would suggest you to plan for the CECT chest as soon as possible. I understand your apprehension but than the best approach in this situation will TO PLAN FOR THE REQUIRED TESTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
An earlier diagnosis will always give the better treatment results
I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you want more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Took keflex for supraclavicular node enlargement with pain. Experiencing shoulder pain. Any cure? 12 hours later
Do you think it could be a malignancy?

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 38 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query
This is difficult to answer. I personally feel that it would be appropriate to wait for few days for the test result to get a more objective answer. Assumptions in clinical practice are not appropriate and my answers can increase your apprehension. But if you have asked me I will say YES it is possible that it can be a malignancy. At the same time it is also possible that it is not malignancy. If you ask me to to further quantify the chances of it being malignant I will say it as 60 to 70 % probability of malignancy.
But than treatment and diagnosis is not based on assumptions. I advise you to please do not postpone your tests JUST GO FOR IT. As soon as the test results are there there are two probables
1. Malignant -- If it is so it is advisable to start treatment as soon as possible
2. Not malignant -- If it is so you are relieved of the apprehension from that point onwards

I hope this answers your concern, Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Took keflex for supraclavicular node enlargement with pain. Experiencing shoulder pain. Any cure? 1 hour later
I appreciate your thoughts on this and hopefully will get good news after the CT.

Thanks again,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 13 hours later
I wish you good luck and hope for the best. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it. Keep me posted about the reports
with regards
Ravinder Sharma