Took ipill after unprotected sex and have not had periods. HPT negative. Have breast pain and back pain. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
hi Sir/Mam,
i am 25 years old. my periods got over on 31st july and i had unprotected sex on 1st aug. took 1st ipill on 3rd aug and 2nd on 6th aug(which i know is wrong). till now (17th sept),i did not get my periods. i took two home tests, one on 16th sept and one just today. it showed one dark line and one very faint colourless line which disappeared.from past two days i m experiencing pain in breasts(which i do before my periods) and pain in lower back....i am so worried as it is already more than 2 days delayed and Pregnancy test is also Negative.
kindly advise.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chance of pregnancy is Nil. Wait one week.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, unprotected sex (1st August) just after period over is very much safe and there is no chance of pregnancy. You also get two negative pregnancy test. So, don't be worried about it.

Second thing, you took I-pill for two times & it is the culprit for late period due to hormonal imbalance and associate mental stress. However, low back pain and breast tenderness are mostly suggestive of Premenstrual Symptoms (PMS) which indicate you will get period shortly.

In this scenario, you have two options. These are:

1) You can wait another one week to get your period naturally. Along with, take balanced diet, drink more fluid/ water, avoid mental stress, keep bowel habit regular and take sound sleep. This will help to hasten your period.

2) You can take progesterone pill (like norethisterone) to induce period after 2-3 days waiting. Kindly, consult with your local doctor for proper prescription.

Hope, it is very much helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex and have not had periods. HPT negative. Have breast pain and back pain. Suggest? 34 hours later
thank you so much for the reply.

how many times do i need to take progestrone pills in a day and for how many days?

can you also advise me as to what is the safest way to have sex? my boyfriend does not like to use condoms and as a result i end up taking i pill. though we have it in a gap of 4-5months or may be more than that but i still m worried about the side effects in future. i also want to know if i pill results in gaining the weight as well.

regards.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query. Followings are my comments.

1) With above condition, I treat my patient with norethisterone tab twice daily for 3 to 5 days. Most patients get their period within one week after stopping them.

However, you must consult with local doctor for proper dosing, frequency and prescription to get effective result.

2) If you involve sex after a long time gap, then you can do unprotected sex in the most safe period of your cycle without condom.

In regular 28-30 days cycle, first 5 days after period over and last 7 days before starting next period are very much safe. In this time zone, chance of pregnancy is almost nil literally. You must avoid sex in most fertile zone 11th to 19th day of each cycle. Hopefully, you do not get pregnant in this time period if you track your cycle perfectly.

In case of irregular cycle or having frequent sex, you have to take hormonal imbalance are the most prominent effect of the I-pill. However, it will be under control over the time period.

4) No, I-pill does not cause any weight gain. Intake of regular progesterone pill or combined OCP for long term is associated with weight gain by retention of body water (progesterone) and increased fat deposition (estrogen compound).

Hope, I have answered your all queries. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex and have not had periods. HPT negative. Have breast pain and back pain. Suggest? 8 days later
Hello Sir

As suggested by you I have taken a daily dosage of norethisterone tablets to stimulate my periods for 5 days but still i have no outputs and still have not got my periods.
I have meanwhile taken another home preganancy test and it was too negative.
I cant understand its being a month now from my normal periods date that i have not entered into menstrual cycle.
Kindly suggest as per our last and this conversation that what i can do to confirm whether m pregnant or not..

Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are not pregnant. Wait few days.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

First of all, you are not pregnant due to 1) you did unprotected sex on safe period 2) recent pregnancy test is negative. If you want to clear your doubts, you can undergo one blood test for beta-hcg to exclude pregnancy.

In this context, reasons for late period are stress, hormonal imbalance, weight gain or loss, psychological disturbance/ emotional upset, improper diet etc.

As you took norethisterone tab for 5 days to induce period, you have to wait at least 5 to 7 days after stopping them to get your period.

Do the following things to get effective result:

1) Take iron & vitamin supplements with your daily diet.
2) Do regular meditation/ yoga to avoid mental stress/ depression.
3) Drink more fluid/ water to stay hydrated & better circulation.
4) Keep bowel habit regular, avoid salt/ coffee and take sound sleep.
5) Consult with gynecologist if you do not get your period after one week.

In addition, you can take this food stuff like broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to get early period.

Hope, it helps for you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex and have not had periods. HPT negative. Have breast pain and back pain. Suggest? 2 days later
Thanks alot for the reply.

i got my periods today...yipieee....i hope now i dun need to worry n can b tension free....do i still need a blood test to be sure?

regards.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need any blood test.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up response. I am happy to hear that you get your period.

I think that you do not need any kind of blood test now. Just relax.

Kindly, close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW