Took ipill after unprotected sex. Periods are due and pregnancy test negative. Cause for this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
helo
my friend had physical thing with his boyfriend last friday and she was expecting her periods any time, but she went for ipill and and then again after two days she took another ipill after sex, now she is confused beacuse her periods are delay and she took pregnancy test as well on tuesday which was negative. kindly suggest, and boy never left sperms inside.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Teen Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later

Emergency pill can alter the menstrual periods depending the period of menstrual cycle when the pill was taken.
As she took the pill in the second half of the cycle there is possibility that the pill might have postponed her periods.
And also in case of regular periods the ovulation will not usually occur in the ending of the month, so the possibility of pregnancy is less.
It is not good to use the i pills repeatedly as that can lead to side effects.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
Better to use some regular method of contraception.
She may possibly get her periods after few days.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex. Periods are due and pregnancy test negative. Cause for this? 21 hours later
thank you doctor, just need to confirm that there are no chances of pregnancy i guess?? and her periods are alreday one week lateis there a problem or she should relax?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

The chance of pregnancy is less as I told previously.
But if she had any unprotected intercourse before these two episodes, like around her ovulatory period then the possibility cannot be ruled out.
If there was only two acts of intercourse around premenstrual period and if she took the i pills after the acts, the chance of pregnancy is very less.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.