Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. What should I do?

Mar 2016

what shall i do if after an unprotected sex,i hav taken ipill within 24 hrs bt i m not having my periods,its around 20 days.i didnt hav any withdrawal bleeding also.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.

Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation (fertile days) & unprotected sex in respect to failure (0.5-1%) of emergency pill.

I-pill is an emergency pill with more than 99% effectiveness in preventing unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within 72 hrs. Also a withdrawal bleeding is usual finding within 7-10 days following taking I-pill.
In your case, though chance of pregnancy is minimal, you need to confirm it as you are 20 days late from expected due date. Home pregnancy test can be done to check for pregnancy.

On the other hand, taking I-pill may cause your upcoming period delayed (in your case 20 days) or earlier from expected due date. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance.

Other reasons for delayed period like ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss, etc may be considered if pregnancy test come negative. The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, thyroid profile etc.

In this scenario, a gynecologist can help you in guide through the tests after a physical examination. So please consult with him/her if you get negative pregnancy test.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.