Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. Home pregnancy test negative. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
hii.. i am XXXXXXX
i am 20 and i had unsafe sex with my bf on 27th and 30th of march. i had taken i pill twice. my period was supposed to come by 18th april but i have not get yet. There are no signs of pregnancy. Home tests are negative. M worried much. please help. This is the 1st time i am suffering the problem of periods.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. S Patra 38 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

You were involved in sex close to your fertile days if previous cycle was regular. Taking I-pill following unprotected sex is very much effective & gives more than 95% protection if it is taken within first 24 hrs.

In general, a withdrawal bleeding occurs within 7 days of taking the pill and next cycle will be delayed due to effect of the pill as a result of hormonal imbalance and mental stress.

With above clinical picture, you should undergo one blood test for beta-HCG to rule out pregnancy at the earliest. Sometimes early home pregnancy test may give negative result.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are thyroid disturbance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, ovarian cyst, psychological factors etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like ultrasound scan of pelvis, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. Home pregnancy test negative. Worrisome 7 hours later
Doctor,
Is there any chances that it may be due to the side effects since i have taken i pill twice within 3 days. In that case what will I have to do? I have never faced such problem ever. In how many days i am supposed to get my periods back?

does blood test for beta-HCG gives 100% correct results? If the result is negative, what should i do?
What will i do if I am pregnant? I cant disclose this to anyone and i am quite tensed. I am too immature to get pregnant and face these situations. please help.
Will I be ok soon?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Taking I-pills is the main reason to delay period in most of the cases. It is quite common thing and occurs due to hormonal imbalance with mental stress. In general, period may be delayed for 7-10 days from due date.

You can wait for 2-3 days more to get your period normally. Otherwise, you should undergo one blood test for HCG to confirm or exclude the pregnancy. It is more reliable than home pregnancy test. 100% confirmatory test for pregnancy is ultrasound scan.

In case of negative pregnancy test, you need to take progesterone pill for 5-7 days to induce your period. Some relevant investigation may be needed to pin point the diagnosis.

If you get positive pregnancy test, then you must consult with gynecologist for medical abortion. MTP kit must be taken under supervision of your doctor to avoid unnecessary excessive vaginal bleeding.

Don't be tensed as it can delay your period. Do the above mentioned test at the earliest and consult after that.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. Home pregnancy test negative. Worrisome 24 hours later
"MTP"will the doctors prescribe me without guardians consult? is there any risk? I cant disclose this to my parents, then what can i do?
I have gone for the test, if its negative will there be any chances for me getting pregnant?
Doctor please give me whatever suggestions you can give in this case. please help me. I am in trouble

Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

First of all, you should not be tensed more as it can delay your period. You focus on the above mentioned investigation at the earliest.

Following test report, you should consult with your gynecologist. In case of negative result, you are free from tension of being pregnant and your doctor prescribe medication (mainly progesterone) to induce your period.

In case of positive result, your doctor prescribe MTP kit for medical abortion without your guardian as per your age and follow the direction (how to take) properly. Vaginal bleeding, abdominal cramp, nausea/ vomiting are quite common effect following taking the abortion pill.

Hope, I have cleared your doubt and answered your query. Now you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best of luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period. Home pregnancy test negative. Worrisome 7 days later
Hello sir,
I consulted a gynecologist. He took a urine test at his clinic. The test result was negative also. I asked him to refer a blood test but he dint. He has referred some medicines named:
1. Cpink 50
2. Divery 10
3. Omestar D

Are the medicines going to help me out.. I have not got my periods till now.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 45 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up.

As your recent urine test is negative, then possibly you are not pregnant. It helps to reduce your mental stress.

Yes, above prescribed medications are quite helpful to induce your period. You will get your period within 5-7 days of stop taking the Deviry 10 mg tab. You should take those regularly according to your doctor's direction.

If you do not get your period within 7 days after stop taking Deviry tab, you must consult with your gynecologist to proceed other relevant investigations.

Along with above medications, you should follow previously suggestive tips for healthy life style. It helps to get period timely.

All the best.

Dr Soumen.