Took ipill after unprotected sex. Got period and missed for next month. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi, I and my girlfriend had sex on 8-Mar-2013 11 PM, while condom broke and i dint ejaculate in her vagina. As soon as it broke i withdrawn. And she took iPill after 32 hours of the act. And she got her periods on 22-Mar-2013 (previous period was on 27-Feb-2013)and she said that it was 5-6 days long it was, and discharge was light, not like normal periods. after that her period is due from 8 days now. We are very scared that whether she is pregnant. Is there a pregnancy possibility? And she doesn't have any pregnancy related symptoms. Please help us. Thank you in advance.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

First of all, you were involved in sex close to ovulation time or fertile period. Taking I-pill after 32 hrs gives protection more than 85% against unwanted pregnancy.

As she got her period on 22nd March, then it is quite unlike for her to be pregnant. I-pill can delay her next period for 7-10 days and it occurs due to hormonal imbalance along with mental stress.

In this scenario, she can wait for another 2-3 days and undergo one home pregnancy test or blood test for beta-HCG to clear confusion for pregnancy.

In case of negative test, she needs to consult with gynecologist for relevant investigation to rule out other causes & pinpoint the diagnosis. Proper treatment depends on underlying etiology.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.