Took ipill after unprotected sex. Got period and missed for next month. Any suggestion?

Feb 2013

my girlfriend and i had unprtoected sex. she took i pill. after that she got her periods which usually last for 3 days. but her peiods have now gone to 5th day. is she all right ??
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
There may be fluctuations in the duration and timing of menstrual cycle after taking i-pill as an emergency contraception.
She will be alright and the safety profile of i-pill is good with minimal side effects.
If her menstrual bleeding is prolonged for more than 10 -15 days or there is excessive vaginal bleeding, ask her to consult the Gynaecologist.
And i-pill should be used as an emergency contraception only and it should not be used as a regular method of contraception.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Follow-up: Took ipill after unprotected sex. Got period and missed for next month. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
she is bleeding very less but it bleeds 2-3 times a day. this means if she keeps on bleeding for 4-5 more days then also it is a normal case. she should not consult a doctor presently ? also i want to know that if she consults a doctor then will the doctor come to know that she has taken i pill or she can hide it from the doctor ?? i hope u understand that this as a problem in india because family persons can also be there with her.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Thank you for your query,
As she is having very less menstrual bleeding, nothing to worry for now.
But if her bleeding prolongs beyond 1 week or bleeding is excessive or associated with blood clots, she can consult a doctor.

If she consult a doctor, the doctor will not know that she has taken i-pill; but it is better to tell the doctor the truth and there is no need to hide medical related history from the doctor. And the doctor will maintain the confidentiality and privacy.

I understand your problem and your girl friend can consult her doctor and the consultation will be kept confidential.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarification please feel free to consult me.