Took ipill after positive pregnancy test result. Planning to take unwanted 72. How to take this?

Poor
Question
Hi doc.. I had sex with my wife 5 to 6 days back.. n checked aftet 2 days d result ws positibe... so I gave ipill n her periods also got postpond 3days... n again I checked today buy still result is positibe.. n now I habe got unwanyed 72... so plz let me know how to take n in wat amt I should take... plz doc soon....
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 34 minutes later

If you had unprotected intercourse only 6 days ago, your wife would not get a positive pregnancy test now itself; it takes at least 3 weeks for a home pregnancy test to be positive after an unprotected intercourse. A positive pregnancy test means that she had already conceived before the act. I-pill would protect only if taken within the stipulated time interval of 72 hours, otherwise it is of no use. Emergency pill contains high amount of hormone and this interferes with the hormonal balance of the body and can cause spotting or delayed periods. Use of another emergency pill in this situation is absolutely useless and potentially harmful.

You should take your wife to a gynecologist and get a complete evaluation. If you do not wish to retain this pregnancy, your doctor would advice you on further management.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Took ipill after positive pregnancy test result. Planning to take unwanted 72. How to take this? 1 hour later
But how if she takes unwanted kit... does pregnancy can be cleared...?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Medical abortion can be done under the guidance of a specialist and up to 63 days of pregnancy. The presence of an intrauterine pregnancy and the period of pregnancy should be established first as failure to do this and self-medication could cause unnecessary complications like incomplete abortion, infection, heavy bleeding, failure to detect an ectopic pregnancy and infertility in the future. So, I would advice you to take your wife to a gynecologist and take proper treatment. Medical abortion is always more successful when done as early as possible. The process will usually take a couple of days. A review after two weeks of the abortion will confirm the completion of the process.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.v.

Follow-up: Took ipill after positive pregnancy test result. Planning to take unwanted 72. How to take this? 11 minutes later
Buy doc wat happened is she went to maike... n I gave unwanted kit befoe only ... n I called nw she said she allready took tablet now itself...so wat to do now...?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later

As she has taken the tablet already, it is advisable she gets immediate advice from a gynecologist and get a trans-vaginal sonogram to see if the pregnancy is intrauterine if emergency services are available at her place. If not, ask her to watch for any bleeding and pain and passing of any clots and any other symptoms like dizziness, sweating etc. She need not take any more tablets now from the kit. She should see a doctor as soon as possible. The remaining tablets may be taken as prescribed by the doctor, usually within 1-3 days of consuming the first tablet.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If you do not have any more questions, you may close this discussion. You can get back anytime. I will be happy to help.

Wish you good luck.

regards,
Shanti.V.