Took injection to reduce peripheral neuropathy. Having tingling and numbness in buttock. Serious?

Spine Surgeon
More than a month ago I had a lower back injection with the hope that doing so would reduce peripheral neuropathy in my feet and legs. About a week later I suddenly began to experience tingling and numbness in my buttocks and anus. Not much change since then. Question: is this permanent or will the steroid injection wear offf with time? Who has experience with this sort of affliction?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may not be permanent. However need to diagnose it

Detailed Answer:

Tingling and numbness is neurological symptoms and usually due to nerve pressure in spine. Have you done any MRI spine to know about any spinal stenosis? Need to know more about it. If possible please upload your investigations. There is a feature to upload the reports on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

They are not permanent symptoms. However we need to diagnose the problem first.

Follow-up: Took injection to reduce peripheral neuropathy. Having tingling and numbness in buttock. Serious? 39 minutes later
No spinal stenosis. Have had MRIs of spine and while there is age-related degeneration, no evidence of pressure on nerves. Viewed the MRIs with my orthopedic physician who pointed out why pressure on spinal nerves does not appear to be the reason for peripheral neuropathy (my major complaint). I respect the opinion of my physician.

I assume this numbness is temporary, as you suggest. The question is, what length of time. Hard to predict.

Finally, cause of neuropathy? Not "typical." Little symptoms (if any) in the morning, then as the day proceeds, symptoms build rather quickly. It becomes difficult to stand after a while, still OK with walkinng. Feet can tingle and become numb, almost like walking on sponges by the end of the day. Physicians here conclude it is idiopathic neuropathy, but I am not satisfied with that diagnosis. The neuropathy does not bother me at night, for example. Only as the day progresses, and it reaches the level described above.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information.
If its not from the spine then systemic cause need to be ruled out. Diabetes? other medical illness? Are you taking any medicine for the same? need to be thoroughly investigated before naming it idiopathic. I would suggest to consult a neurologist and get a thorough exam. Mean while you can take pregabalin medicine to relieve the symptoms. If possible please upload MRI spine report for me. Thanks
Agree with you about looking into systemic cause. The possibility of a activation of Epstein Barr is on my mind since I had it before (12 years ago, in my 50s) which entered my nervous system. No sign of diabetes. Have already visited neurologist but the examination was routine, in my view, and the diagnosis of idiopathic was almost automatic. Yes, am taking Lyrica to help with symptoms but the med is not completely effective, not even close give what I have described for end of day symptoms.

Can you think of any other systemic causes for the symptoms I describe? Obviously sleep helps. The symptoms are minimal upon waking. I appreciate your advice.

I don't have the MRI-spine reports handy - actually 4 MRIs of different parts of my spine from top to bottom. I can create a pdf of them once I have them all together.

Is it possible to stay specifically in touch with you as I continue to look beyond "idiopathic" as an explanation?
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
keep in touch through XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Sure. Let me know when you upload the report. Thanks
You can post to me directly through this link, WWW.WWWW.WW