Took i pill during periods. Extended menstrual bleeding. Any problem?

Mar 2016

hi doctor my girl friend has taken I pill during her periods now its 6th day till now her periods was not stopped is any problem was there??
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I-pill (contains Levonorgestrel) during period time is responsible for extended menstrual bleeding. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance and period coincides with withdrawal bleeding.

Normal period lasts for 3 to 5 days in most women. However, it may extend up to 7 days and considered as normal event.

In this circumstance, I suggest her to wait another 1 to 2 days to stop bleeding naturally. Otherwise, she can take TRANEXAMIC ACID group of medicine (like TRAPIC 500 mg) 2 to 3 times daily to arrest bleeding temporarily.

If above medicine fails to stop bleeding, she must consult with her gynecologist for clinical examination and relevant investigation (like ultrasound scan etc). In such case, hormonal medication may be given as treatment.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any further clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Took i pill during periods. Extended menstrual bleeding. Any problem? 4 minutes later
sir now there is any chanes for pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

From your limited information, I can assume that you did unprotected sex just prior to her period date or during period which is the most safe. In such case, chance of pregnancy is extremely rare or almost nil.

I-pill also gives additional protection against unwanted pregnancy (in rare case) if it is taken within 72 hrs of unprotected sex.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen