Took high dose of levo-thyroxine. Noticed skin hanging under chin with high TSH level. Side effect?

Question
I recently upped my dose of levo-thyroxine from 75 mcgm to 871/2 mcg. I set my allarm for 3:00 AM sat up and took the dose with 6 oz water. Last night I discovered that I could not get back to sleep because the soft tissues in my throat seemed to be obstructing my airway. When I looked in the mirror this AM there was a strange pouch hanging under my chin that jiggled like it was full of water. All day I've fellt wierd . I feel like I'm wearing a too tight necktie. I've had these signs and symptoms ever since discovering a TSH level of 80 and raising the dose of levo-thyroxine from 25 mcgm to 50. I was not taking the thyroxine on an empty stomach until raising the dose and being more attentive to directions with the 871/2 mcgm dose . The tablets bear the stamps L H on one side and M on the other.
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Your hypothyroidism is secondary to amiodarone intake. You have to take lethyroxine lifelong. Best tome to take it is early morning n empty stomach and not to take anything during nexr 1 hour. Second option is to take it late night before going to bed. Your dosage will have to be totrated to maintain TSH in normal range. Your throat symptoms have nothing to do with hypothyroidism even though they manifested around the same time. I suggest you consult an ENT specialist to see if everything is ok in your throat. Hypothyroidism is a pretty straight forward problem &when treatment is taken properly wouldnt lead to any other new issues. So in my view you continue 87.5 mcg &repeat TSH after 4 - 6 weeks to see if it is in normal range &consult an ENT specialist for your throat problem.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad