Took high dose of fluoxtine along with vodka. Should I visit ER?

my son normal takes 20 mg of fluoxtine - he was upset tonight and took 60 mgs and 2 sips he say very small of vodka - should I take him to the er? He is weighs almost 200 lbs so I am hoping that is in his favor
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 37 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Fluoxite should not exceed a maximum dose of 80 mg/day.So he is still in range of normal dose, but generally dose are increased slowly.

Symptoms to be watched in overdose are abnormal accommodation, abnormal gait, confusion, unresponsiveness, nervousness, pulmonary dysfunction, vertigo, tremor, elevated blood pressure, impotence, movement disorder, hypomania, seizures, somnolence, nausea, tachycardia, and vomiting.

If it's difficult for you to analyse these symptoms or feel something is abnormal a precautionary visit to ER is always advisable to be on safer side.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.