Took high dose of crocin tablets. Any complication?

Mar 2016

hi my wife has taken 6 crocin tablets now (500mg each). She is a healthy 25 year old. What do u advise?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Crocin tablets contain paracetamol as ingredient. Taking 6 crocin tab (500 mg) in 24 hrs does not cause any ill health effect to your wife. Though taking more than recommended dose is not a good idea.

The maximum dosage for paracetamol is 4 gram (8 x 500 mg) or 8 tablets in 24 hours. Prolonged overuse of paracetamol or more than 4 gm daily can cause liver damage as it is hepatotoxic drug. Stomach bleeding also seen in prolonged users. Liver damage may not be immediately detected and remain untreated for long time.

Here, I can suggest you to consult with healthcare provider/ physician immediately if any adverse reaction is found due to over doses.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your wife good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Took high dose of crocin tablets. Any complication? 9 minutes later
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. If you get details of time duration in earlier query, I can give you a better suggestion. Though I think it is a just mistake.

If 6 paracetamol tablets are taken together within few minutes, it may cause serious damage to liver or kidney due to effect of its poisoning though threshold level is 4 gm or 8 tablets.

In this case, hospital treatment is advisable without any delay. It is ideal to admit within 12 hours of taking overdose. Treatment must be supervised in a hospital/ under preference of physician.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of your wife and contact healthcare provider immediately.

Dr Soumen.