Took guafensein dm for cough. Started feeling cramps and nausea while eating. Any ideas?

My daughter took guafensein dm for cough (she has fibromyalgia and has been detoxing) for a bad flu. She has now cramps/pain/nausea when she eats and feels its because of the guaf/dm. how long will it stay in her system and do you have any ideas?
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I feel your daughter's symptoms of pain, nausea, cramps could be attributed to any one of the following...
Gastritis/ Acidity
Gas trapped in the bowels
or it could be part of the flu.

Guaiphenesin can cause nausea in some individuals, in which case ,after 24 hours of the last dose of the medicine, the nausea should go away.

If the symptoms are due to the flu, then it might take upto a week to recover.

I would suggest she take some proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole after consulting a physician. This might help reduce her symptoms.

It would be beneficial to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day ( warm water at regular intervals)
Avoid spicy ,oily food. Avoid food which cause digestion issues.
Have a bland diet.

I hope I have answered your questions. I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan