Took gastroscopy, erosive duodenitis in D2. Explain

HAve just been given the result of gastroscopy. Informed that I have erosive duodenitis in D2 - please explain?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The gastroscopy report has identified some inflammation in the second part of the duodenum. This is referred to as D2 by surgeons. There are 4 parts of the duodenum. You can google this and look at some of the anatomy of the duodenum.

This inflammation may be from excessive acid secretions or possibly from an infection with a bacteria called H Pylori. Your doctor likely took some biopsies and tested for the bacteria as well. He probably recommended as well that you take some medications to lower the amount of acid secretions in your stomach.

The inflammation will heal over about 4 to 6 weeks.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.