Took femilon after having sex. On regular femilon dosage. Chances of pregnancy being prevented after sex?

Question
I took femilon 24 hours after having sex and I'm on regular dose of femilon since then for 21 days. Is there any chanve of pregnancy being prevented if femilon is taken between 12 to 24 hours of having sex?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Femilon can be used within 72 hours.

Detailed Answer:

Femilon can be used as emergency contraceptive within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse and as two doses of 5 tablets each with a gap of 12 hours in the Yuzpe Regimen. Yet, if you happened to ovulate at the time of the intercourse, protection may not be effective with a single dose. I will be able to comment further if you can give me the details like your menstrual history, past contraception, last cycle etc.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Took femilon after having sex. On regular femilon dosage. Chances of pregnancy being prevented after sex? 26 minutes later
I have always had regular cycles. Never taken any contraceptive before. I had taken femilon because I was prescribed that by my doctor as I have a cyst in my left ovary. I didn't have unprotected intercourse actually. But just to be.sure I took femilon as I was advised by the doctor too. So

But the problem is that I had just one dose and the next on the next day so will it still prevent pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ovulation prior to intake of medication is a risk.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

If you have been taking the pill as a contraceptive right from the beginning of the cycle, you are sufficiently protected. If this is the first cycle of the pill, as a precaution, it is generally advised to use additional precaution. If, on the other hand, you chose to take the pill on some random date of the cycle instead of the Day 1 or Sunday start, protection cannot be assured.

You should wait for your next cycle to test for pregnancy at home if you miss it or you can go for the blood pregnancy test two weeks after the intercourse for an earlier confirmation.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please get back for any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Took femilon after having sex. On regular femilon dosage. Chances of pregnancy being prevented after sex? 24 minutes later
Ohk. no i started the contraceptive for the sole reason that my doctor advised me to take it for the cyst. Had intercourse with the condom on but not sure if it was safe so was just wondering if this contraceptive will work or not. I get it, it could've worked if i took it on the first day of the cycle. But unfortunately I took it around two weeks later, (my cycle starts on 1st of every month but i had intercourse on 13th or 14th and started the 21 day course of contraceptive the next day). I am continuing to take it everyday and completing the 21 day course.
but is there still a chance that it could have prevented pregnancy through the way I've been taking femilon?
also, is one month pregnancy detectable on MRI or virginal sonography?
My cycle was on 1st so it should start again by tomorrow if i'm not pregnant but would my cycles be disturbed because i have been taking femilon?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cycle likely to get disturbed by Femilon use.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here are your answers.

1. You have started taking the pill at the time of your ovulation. This cannot ensure protection.
2. One month pregnancy or 4-5 weeks pregnancy can be just detected in a vaginal sonogram. MRI is better avoided during the first three months of pregnancy.
3. Your original cycle would be altered as you have taken the medication through mid-cycle. So, you can expect your next period, if you had not ovulated, corresponding to the dates of the pill intake.

Hope all your queries are answered. Please feel free to contact for any more information. I will be available for help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.