Took erythromycin for throat pain. On breast feeding. Will this have any effects on the baby?

my wife is suffering from throat pain for last 3-4 days. she took erythromycin for a day and the pain subsided; but the pain started again after she stopped taking it. we have a seven month old baby and my wife is still feedeing the baby. will this have any side effects to the baby. can we continue to take erythromycin for few days?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later

Thanks for posting query.

Your wife has a throat infection for which she was prescribed erythromycin. In throat infection, it should be taken for 7-10 days.

Erythromycin though secreted in milk, is not harmful to the baby or the mother. So you can give your wife full course of erythromycin without any fear.

Please consult your physician about the dose and duration of therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

Wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Dr Sourav Ganguly